Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Post 2! Let's see if I can keep it going

What I'm Reading:
Jeremiah 2

What stood out:
14 Is Israel a servant, a slave by birth?
Why then has he become plunder?

19 Your wickedness will punish you;
your backsliding will rebuke you.
Consider then and realize
how evil and bitter it is for you
when you forsake the LORD your God
and have no awe of me,”
declares the Lord, the LORD Almighty.

22 Although you wash yourself with soap
and use an abundance of cleansing powder,
the stain of your guilt is still before me,”
declares the Sovereign LORD.
23 “How can you say, ‘I am not defiled;
I have not run after the Baals’?
See how you behaved in the valley;
consider what you have done.
You are a swift she-camel
running here and there,

32 Does a young woman forget her jewelry,
a bride her wedding ornaments?
Yet my people have forgotten me,
days without number.
33 How skilled you are at pursuing love!
Even the worst of women can learn from your ways.
34 On your clothes is found
the lifeblood of the innocent poor,
though you did not catch them breaking in.
Yet in spite of all this
35 you say, ‘I am innocent;
he is not angry with me.’
But I will pass judgment on you
because you say, ‘I have not sinned.’
36 Why do you go about so much,
changing your ways?
You will be disappointed by Egypt
as you were by Assyria.
37 You will also leave that place
with your hands on your head,
for the LORD has rejected those you trust;
you will not be helped by them.

My prayer:
I get confused about what happens next in life. I don't want to make my worry an idol, but sometimes I feel that worry is a better companion than running through an endless forest not knowing where I'm going or if I'm running in the right direction. Worry feels like a good companion if I feel like you're not responding in a way I understand. If I'm brutally honest, worry feels like a better companion to you right now because I expect to see you provide and I don't see it, but I can't expect anything from my own meaningless anxiety. So, I guess the prayer is actually, "Jesus, show me how you're better than worry."

My reasons for the parts that stood out:
I guess I've been thinking a lot about identity. Who I am. How that should shape how I behave. And who I think God really is. And consequences. I've been wondering a lot if I can see what will happen from things I observe now. Like ripples in a still pond. Do these little ripples now reflect something bigger to come? Or am I just being over observant or just not trusting God?

Song I listened to most:
I Bless the Rain Down in Africa by Toto

What it all made me think of:
"Don’t worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as
effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing
bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that
never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm
on some idle Tuesday." -Baz Luhrmann, Wear Sunscreen

Conclusion:
I am proud of myself for actually writing today... I didn't want to and I had no idea what to say. I actually feel like I accomplished something. I guess that makes it: me = 1, unemployment = all the other days except this one.

1 comment:

spartacus21 said...

I like reading your contemplations! Here's to Day 3!