Sunday, February 19, 2012

I love you, Freddie Mercury.

What I'm reading:
Genesis 28

Verses that stood out:
3 May God Almighty[b] bless you and make you fruitful and increase your numbers until you become a community of peoples. 4 May he give you and your descendants the blessing given to Abraham, so that you may take possession of the land where you now reside as a foreigner, the land God gave to Abraham.”

15 I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.

20 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear 21 so that I return safely to my father’s household, then the LORD[f] will be my God 22 and[g] this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.”

Prayers:
God, I'd love to have a directive as clear as this. I feel stuck in the calling I have already felt you give, and now I'm not sure where to run with it. As another week looms ahead I have to face the facts. I'm still unemployed and have no idea what I'm doing. Please Lord, let it break soon.

Thoughts:
My husband, Matt, is writing a talk on satisfaction. He asked my thoughts and the first thing that jumped to mind was Freddie Mercury of Queen. In 1976 he wrote the song "Somebody to Love". Still a hit. 15 years later Queen wrote "The Show Must Go On". In the mid-seventies Freddie was a talented, young gay man who was one of the world's best performers. He had his whole life ahead of him. And 15 short years later he was sick, dying of AIDS, could barely walk, and still had no one to love. One of the lyrics of The Show Must Go On is, "inside I am breaking, my make-up may be flaking, but my smile still stays on."

Tragic.

I don't want to discuss morality or homosexuality. What I wish for this man was that he had felt the love and acceptance I feel. He spent his whole life searching for someone to love. The first line of the song is, "Can anybody find me somebody to love." We get our answer 15 years later. Apparently "no".

People adored the band. They still do. Queen is still one of the biggest artists of all time. But, and I hate cheesey-ness, I guess we cannot forget. The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return. That last verse in Genesis 28 speaks to me. That God already loves. I just have to accept it and love back. It's really a one way deal for him until I respond.

Conclusion:
I have more applications to fill out.

No comments: