Friday, April 10, 2015

Things I Assumed as a Kid

Having more friends makes you happy

Lie. I didn't realize it growing up because I've always been really friendly and bubbly, but I am a huge introvert. Probably why I'd rather blog than discuss my thoughts with the outside world, really. I always wanted to be popular... to "belong". 

First, having more friends doesn't make you any less lonely. Second, people are investments. Investments take time to grow and mature, like good friendships. Some of my friendships are going on decades, others are relatively new, but I think that you can usually tell the ones that you'll cash in fast compared to the ones you're keeping for the long haul. 

I want ALL the toys

Getting all the toys as an adult is exhausting and expensive. I think I'd rather just have the things that make me most content, which may or may not be something relatively inexpensive. 

On my inexpensive list: Coffee with friends, walking around the 24 hour Target or Walmart with Ash, driving (although I suppose that does require a car and gas), sitting on the beach, writing, playing an instrument, cuddling, swimming. 

Expensive list: food, whisky, tequila (basically all alcohols, I'm in my late 20s... can't mess with crap alcohol anymore), good furniture, my bed and sheets, clothes, haircuts, shoes.

I'll know and understand everything when....

FALSE! I will never know or understand everything. I just need to give that one up. 

Driving is fun

This is true, unless I am in traffic, in a large city and I just got cut off my someone. Then my fury will be unleashed upon their soul.

Adults have an endless supply of money and time

I really wish this were accurate. I didn't understand my dad when he told me to enjoy being a kid, or enjoy being in high school, or enjoy being in college. I did enjoy all those things, but I always just wanted to skip to the end and be a fully fledged licensed adult. I always want to skip to the end. I have little patience for processes, still. But at least I realize it now. That's progress, right?

Grownups are graceful and perfect

Growing up I was a huge tomboy. I liked playing in the dirt with the boys, not playing with makeup. I still wish makeup weren't a thing in my life, but I will eternally trip over nothing, run into doors or hit my elbows on tables. If part of growing up is acceptance, I think we can call this a success. But I think there is some part of me that secretly hopes I'll be some graceful ballerina one day. 

No comments: