Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Is Home Really Where My Rump Rests?

This year has been an odd year, and due to the intense situations ebbing and flowing through my senior year I have been disinclined to truly enjoy where I am. So it was a great surprise to me when, for the first time in 7 months, I actually started enjoying my desert. My spring break was actually full of fun little surprises like that.

It hit me while I was taking the 60 home. I remembered a Dutch phrase I learned last January. Translated, it's something like "if the sun sets red, tomorrow will be a good day". Haha... well, that's not so hard for Phoenix. With a climate not allowing for many clouds or moisture, our sunrises and sunsets have more colors in a single day than most people ever see. So I guess that means a very high percentage of days should have good "tomorrow"s.

While I glided along the silent freeway going somewhere around 70mph with the windows down, the cool desert spring air hit with a slight wet scent which probably meant that somewhere a sprinkler had broken. The mountains shone red in front of me and I heavily considered continuing until I ran out of gas, which in my little car could have been well into the night. And suddenly it hit me. I'm not going to live here. I know, I don't really live in Gilbert anymore as is, but after August I really won't live there. I don't even know exactly when I'd be coming back. A few months? A year? more? I don't want to stay. I'm not wishing I could be in Gilbert or Tucson instead, it just seems so odd to think that my parents house will never be my home anymore. Even though I haven't spent more than 3 consecutive weeks at home in the past 4 years I've always referred to it as my home. It's the place where I send my phone and credit bills, it's the place where I run to when I get tired of real life. But after August I can't just go back to my childhood sanctuary.

I guess Christ will just have to get that much bigger for me.

8 comments:

spartacus21 said...

i think God's up to that challange! i remember hearing that dutch phrase before, i never thought of it in the sense we are spoiled in Arizona with our sun while there is a land that hungers for it's warmth! thanks for sharing liz!

Ashley Axup said...

iiii willllllll missssss youuuuuuu soooooooo muuuuuuuuuch.

i hope God gets that much bigger in my being able to travel to see you.

i love the sunsets here. i will miss them, too.

i will take pictures of sunsets and send them to you.

i'll buy you red sunglasses so the sky always looks red.

these are things i can do.

but alicia's right, He is up to that challenge, and i'm so excited for you!!!

that comment is/will be unnecessarily long.

i love you!

and we should take a picture of you riding into the arizona sunset in your gas efficient car...or we could both be in it and act like thelma and louise...but i'm not going to plummet into the grand canyon with you...but we didn't kill a dude, so we don't have to.

Ashley Axup said...

i meant this. tis comment...but it is now that comment.

Ashley Axup said...

i made another typo. ignore me. i malfunctioned.

Ashley Axup said...

i keep messing up.

Ashley Axup said...

maybe your roommates in england won't mess up on commenting on your blog.

Ashley Axup said...

i shouldn't type where people can see it. i shall live in typing shame.

Christy said...

I know how you feel!

I've been a desert rat all my life and the fact that everything will be different for me next year, the sunsets, the climate, the places, the people, the language, is really just scary. I have to trust that Christ will be big enough for all those changes for both of us...

at least we'll be on the same side of the atlantic!

...and the pacific!

also I really like that the title is from the lion king :D